Northwest Undergrad

Transfer Guide

Your Guide to transfering to Northwest University. We'll help you finish what you started.

You're ready. You've spent the last few years completing your general education requirements, perhaps at several colleges. You've explored a few avenues and now you know what you want from your future. Now is the time to transfer to a 4-year university to complete your bachelor's degree – as quickly as possible – so that you can jump start your career. We understand, and we're here to help!

Transfer Counselor

Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Phone: 1-800-669-3781

Transcript Review

Request a Transcript Review
  • Complete your degree at NU

    1. Will NU accept my credit?

      In most cases, yes! We want to give you as much credit as possible for work that you have already completed at another institution. This is one of the reasons why we've restructured our general education requirements to be more flexible for transfer students. For example, for most degrees NU requires 9 semester credits of Social Science, but you may choose to take any combination of two disciplines: Business, Communication, Education, Management, and many others. With this added flexibility you can take more of the classes you want while still completing your degree on time. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if your degree is one of the few exceptions.

    2. How long will it take to complete my degree?

      If you would like to know how many of your credits will transfer to NU, please contact our Transfer Counselor for an unofficial transcript review. After receiving an unofficial review our Transfer Counselor will be able to explain approximately how long it will take you to complete your degree at NU, and which classes you have left to take. Our Transfer Counselor will even conduct an unofficial review of your credits before you submit an application! Email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) for more information.

    3. Do you offer credit for AP, IB, CLEP, Dantes, military training, or prior learning?

      Yes! You may earn credit that is transferrable to Northwest University from a variety of sources. Northwest University offers credit for successful completion of CLEP, AP, IB, and Dantes exams, in addition to military training (provided it is reflected on an official transcript) and prior learning, through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). For detailed information regarding earning credit at Northwest University from these sources, you can consult our Transfer Guide, or contact our Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

  • Scholarships for Transfer Students

  • In addition to potentially qualifying for State and Federal Financial Aid, Northwest University rewards hard work by providing scholarships to many of our transfer students. You will want to check out our Financial Aid website for a complete list, but for now, here are a few scholarships you may qualify for:

    Scholarship Amount (per year)
    Transfer Academic Scholarship $6,000 – $10,000
    NU Success Scholarship Up to half tuition
    Music Scholarship $500 – $5,000

    Of course, you may always refer to our Net Price Calculator to estimate the amount of aid that you may qualify for.

    Our Transfer Counselor can also recommend a few alternate sources of aid – email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) for more information.

  • Direct Transfer Degrees

  • Northwest University accepts college and university-approved Associate of Arts (AA) degrees from public community colleges in Washington and Oregon. Students who have completed these direct transfer degrees will receive 60 semester credits and junior academic standing. Transfer courses must be completed with a grade of C- or above. Some majors require higher markings.

    Northwest University is committed to rooting our students in sound theological study that will build them both spiritually and academically. Theology and Bible courses are part of our general education requirements that may not be satisfied by Direct Transfer Degrees. Nevertheless, most students are still able to complete their degrees in two years. To determine the exact requirements of your program, please contact our Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

    There are 30 community colleges in Washington with direct transfer degrees that meet the ICRC Guidelines. The names of the colleges and their direct transfer degrees are listed below:

    Bellevue College AA and AS
    Big Bend Community College AA&S
    Cascadia Community College Associate in Integrated Studies
    Centralia College AA, Associate in Liberal Arts
    Clark College AA
    Columbia Basin College AA&S
    Edmonds Community College AA&S, Option I
    Everett Community College AA&S, Option II
    Grays Harbor College AA
    Green River Community College AA
    Highline Community College AA, Option A
    Lower Columbia College AA&S, Plan B
    North Seattle Community College AA, AS
    Northwest Indian College AA&S
    Olympic College AA&S, Option A
    Peninsula College AA, AA – Honors
    Pierce College, Ft. Steilacoom AA
    Pierce College, Puyallup AA
    Seattle Central Community College AA, AS
    Shoreline Community College AA&S, Option A
    Skagit Valley College AA, Univ. and College Transfer
    South Puget Sound Community College AA
    South Seattle Community College AA, AS
    Spokane Community College AA
    Spokane Falls Community College AA
    Tacoma Community College AA&S, Option A
    Walla Walla Community College AA
    Wenatchee Valley College AA&S
    Whatcom Community College AA&S
    Yakima Valley College AA
    Table Key

    AA: Associates of Arts
    AA&S: Associates Arts of Sciences
    AS: Associates of Science

  • How to apply

  • Did you know that almost 40% of our student body transferred into NU? You are among friends! If you're ready to apply to NU you will need to submit:

    • Application
    • Pastoral Reference
    • Official College Transcript(s)
    • Official High School Transcript (Required if you have completed less than 30 semester or 45 quarter college credits.)
    • Official SAT or ACT Score Report (Required if you have completed less than 20 semester or 30 quarter college credits.)

    Start the application to Northwest University today!

    Apply Now »


    Fall Semester Spring Semester
    August 1 December 15


    Contact the Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or 1-800-669-3781.

  • Alumni Success

  • Approximately 70% of Northwest University's programs incorporate internships, which means that earning a degree at Northwest University will not only help you achieve your educational goals, it will help you launch your career upon graduation. Take a look at some of the success stories our alumni have shared with us. Their words say it best.

    Alumni Stories

    "Practicality is the best word to describe how the professors at Northwest University prepare you for a career in teaching. They take the true facets of what you need to know and make you practice it, again and again! This focus on what is essential for you to know and have at your fingertips is invaluable in the education field."

    Abigail Yokers

    – Abigail Yokers

    Educational Director at The Goddard School

    Margret Akers

    "Don't overlook Northwest. The professors here are really invested in your success. They opened doors for me that I could have never opened myself. Choosing this school has made a huge difference. I've done things here that I never imagined I would."

    – Margaret Akers

    A&R / Project Manager at Save The City Records
    Volunteers as a West Coast Promoter for LMG concerts

    "Every professor within the department cares about their students. Not only did they push me in my academics, they talked with me, gave guidance, and ideas for where to move on professionally. The fact that they care about their students shows. I don't think I'd be the editor and writer I am today without them."

    Chuck Steinhilber

    – Chuck Steinhilber

    Editor at Expedia

  • Visit/Contact Us

  • Individual Visit

    If you would like to meet one-on-one with our Transfer Counselor, we are happy to schedule an individual appointment tailored to your needs. We look forward to meeting you.

    Sign up for an Individual Visit »


    Contact the Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or 1-800-669-3781.

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    1. When does the next term start? Is Northwest University on the semester or quarter system?

      Northwest University utilizes the semester system, so you can apply for either the Fall (August-December) or Spring (January-May) terms. We also offer on-campus and online classes during the summer. Certain programs only start in the Fall semester. Please contact the Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to find out if this applies to you.

    2. What is the difference between Running Start students and Transfer Students?

      If you have taken college credit after high school graduation then you are considered a Transfer Student. If you completed your college credits before high school graduation then you will apply to NU as a new incoming student with Running Start college credit.

    3. I'm still enrolled in classes. When should I submit my transcripts for my application?

      We recommend completing your application as soon as possible because financial aid may not be awarded unless a student has been accepted to the University. Submit your current official college transcript(s) with your application for admission. Once you finish your term, send a new transcript reflecting your completed courses.

    4. I want to apply to the Nursing program but I have not completed the Bible courses. How do I finish them before the program begins?

      This is very common among transfer students, and Northwest University can recommend a few options for you. Please contact the Transfer Counselor to make a plan for completing the Nursing prerequisites: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

    5. My GPA is not very good. Can I still be considered for admission to NU?

      The Northwest University Admissions Committee reviews students' applications holistically. Admissions decisions are based on an equal weighting of each part of the application. If you are concerned that your grades do not match your academic abilities, consider submitting a supplementary essay describing your academic history and your plan for success at Northwest University. Please provide your essay to the Transfer Counselor at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

    6. How do I know what class standing I will have when I transfer my credits to NU?
      Class Standing Semester Credits Quarter Credits
      Freshman 0 – 29.9 0 – 44.9
      Sophomore 30 – 59.9 45 – 89.9
      Junior 60 – 89.9 90 – 134.9
      Senior 90+ 135+

      Note: All credits accepted by Northwest University are converted into and reported in semester credit hours. One quarter credit is equal to two-thirds of a semester credit. Semester credits are calculated by dividing the total number of quarter credits by 1.5.

    7. Who can answer my questions about the GI Bill and how to access my educational benefits through the military?

      Please contact our VA Coordinator at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).