Adult / Evening

Financial Aid

Evening Undergraduate Programs

Frequently Asked Questions


  • Do I need any college credits or pre-requisites to enter the program?
    No prior college credit is required, however, a high school diploma or equivalent is required for all certificate or degree programs at Northwest University.
  • Can I receive credit for life experience?
    Yes! Northwest University uses PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) to award college-level credit for learning in non-academic settings. Prior learning can include on-the-job training, college-level exams, or documentation of college-level competency in an academic field.
  • How long will it take to be accepted?
    Normally 1–2 business days after all documents are submitted. Submit items as you complete them preferably via scan/email or fax if possible.
  • How much homework will there be?
    Everyone is different and it depends on the class, but generally 15–17 hours a week.
  • Do I need a laptop?
    No, but access to a computer is important. NU has a computer lab, and library computers are also available for your use.
  • How do I apply?
    Application instructions can be found at


  • How many will be in my class?
    Typically, no more than 25 students.
  • Who are my classmates?
    Adult working professionals.
  • When are my classes?
    One week night and an occasional Saturday.
  • How long will it take to finish?
    That depends on your program, your pace, and what credits you already have.


  • What types of financial aid are there?
    Four types: NU scholarships, federal and state grants, federal loans, and work study.
  • How do I apply for financial aid?
    You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Does attending college one class at a time qualify for financial aid?
  • Are payment plans available?
    Yes. Northwest offers several options.
  • Will my employer pay for college?
    Many employers will contribute. Inquire at your company's HR department.