Financial Aid

Types of Aid

Financial Aid

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

Northwest University is approved as an educational institution for the training of veterans or their dependents. Application should be made at their local Veteran’s Administration Office for Certificates of Eligibility. Those qualifying under the extended Social Security Act should apply for benefits at their local offices of the Social Security Administration. The University will make the proper certifications as to enrollment and attendance after the student has enrolled in the University.

A veteran's educational benefit is a contract between the veteran and the Veteran's Administration. Colleges can only accurately address academic issues such as enrollment, degree progress, course grades, and academic advising. It cannot and should not attempt to explain a Veterans' Benefits, entitlements, or financial allotments - these can only be explained by contacting the appropriate Veteran's Administration Office, linked below.

The links below are maintained primarily by government resources. Should you be unable to connect to a resource due to a broken link, please e-mail Sharon Jones at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Veteran Administration (VA) Links and Contact Information

Muskogee, Oklahoma Regional VA Office
Toll-Free: 1.888.442.4551
8:00AM - 5:00PM Central Time Zone
Muskogee Regional VA Office Web Site

Links to Northwest University and Veteran's Administration Programs Educational Benefit Chapters

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Survivor's & Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VRE)

Certification of Courses

The Veteran's Administration relies upon the Certification Officer of Northwest University to certify the courses taken by veterans as a basis for determining payment of benefits. Certification for traditional students (*College of Adult & Professional Studies students see below) is based on the following levels:

  • Full Time = 12 or more credits/semester
  • 3/4 Time = 9 to 11 credits/semester
  • 1/2 Time = 6 to 8 credits/semester
  • Less than 1/2 time = 1 to 5 credits/semester -- will receive payment towards tuition and required fees only.

Special Notes - All Academic Programs

Students eligible for VA Educational Benefits must have all documents and transcripts pertaining to prior civilian or military training sent directly to the Admissions Office before a certification of eligibility can be sent to the VA.

The Code of Federal Regulations requires a transfer evaluation of prior credit be completed and sent to the student and to the VA within one semester after admission to the University. Failure to adhere to this regulation will result in the termination of educational benefits.

Students receiving VA Educational Benefits who have been placed on academic probation must raise their cumulative GPA to a 2.0 within one semester. Students who remain on probation for a second semester will have their educational benefits terminated until they are taken off probation.

Students receiving VA Educational Benefits must be enrolled only in courses that lead to their declared educational objective (BA, BS, BFA, MA, Credential, etc.).

*Special Notes - College of Adult & Professional Studies Students

Students in the College of Adult & Professional Studies are enrolled in sequentially-offered courses through their term, rather than the traditional format of four to five courses over a 10 or 15 week period. Because of this difference, and the possibility that some students would have a five-week course and then a five-week gap where no course is taken, and then might have two courses that overlap each other, the VA requests that College of Adult & Professional Studies VA students' courses are certified on a weekly-basis, where each course for the complete term must be explained showing beginning date, ending date, and credit value.

Because of the longer length of the terms (six months), and because students enroll for a normal load of 12-17 credits, the VA considers most Adult & Professional Studies students enrolled at only 3/4 time, although Northwest considers them as full-time students. At any time of a term in which VA students are enroll for additional courses, such as "Bridge" courses, their enrollment level is increased to full-time. This makes verification that Adult & Professional Studies VA students are receiving their correct benefit very difficult, and be clarified only by speaking directly with the VA itself.

Application Forms

Veterans Who Have Not Submitted Application for Educational Benefits

New applicants who have never applied for and used their VA Educational Benefits have the choice to print out and complete the VA Application Form 22-1990 or to apply on-line. Note: The VA explains that it may take between 30-45 days to process initial applications.

  • VA Application: 22-1990 (PDF)
    • Print one copy for your files.
    • Send a copy of the form to Northwest University's VA Certification Officer for the University's files.

      Sharon Jones

      Northwest University VA Certification Officer
      P.O. Box 579
      Kirkland, WA 98033

      The University will verify the information and forward it to the VA Regional Office.

  • VA Application: On-line Application
    • Complete on-line via the web.
    • Print one copy for your files.
    • Send a copy of the form to Northwest University's VA Certification Officer for the University's files.

Vets Who Have Received Notice of Educational Benefits Approval

Students who have already been approved for Educational Benefits merely need to notify the VA that they are changing where they are receiving their education by completing the Request For Change Of Program Or Place Of Training Form (22-1995).

Print out form and mail to:

Sharon Jones

Northwest University VA Certification Officer
P.O. Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98033



Sharon Jones, Registrar's Office

425.889.5228 (8:00AM – 5:00PM, M–F)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)